Q1. Give any two major causes of the first world war?
Ans. following were two major causes of the first world war:-
- Mutual Defense Alliances:- Over time, countries throughout Europe made mutual defense agreements that would pull them into battle. These treaties meant that if one country was attacked, allied countries were bound to defend them.
- Imperialism:- Imperialism is when a country increases its power and wealth by bringing additional territories under its control. Before world war 1, Africa and parts of Asia were points of contention among the European countries. Tensions around this area could provide. The increasing competition and desire for greater empires led to an increase in confrontation that had to push the world into world war 1.
Q2. What was the immediate cause of the first world war?
Ans. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the heir to the Austrian throne, was assassinated on the 28th June, 1914 at Sarajevo in Bosnia, by a Serbia nationalist. Serbia was held responsible and was sent an ultimatum. It was after Serbia refused to implement these conditions, then Australian declared war on Serbia on 28th July, 1914. Soon, other powers got involved and this developed into the first world war.
Q3. How did the Sarajevo crisis in 1914 lead to the first world war?
Ans. The Sarajevo crisis in 1914 lead to the first world war:-
- On 28th June, 1914, Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the heir to the throne of Austria- Hungary was assassinated at Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia.
- Austria saw the hand of Serbia behind the murder.
- Austria gave an ultimatum to Serbia on 23rd July, 1914.
- Serbia refused to accept the ultimatum.
- On 28th July 1914 Austria declared war on Serbia.
- Thus the Sarajevo crisis led to the first world war in 1914.
Q4. Name the two rival blocs formed in Europe before world war 1?
Ans. Triple alliance and triple entente.
Q5. Name the signatory country of the triple entente and triple alliance?
Ans. Britain, France and Russia. ( triple entente)
Germany, Austria-Hungary and Italy.(triple alliance)
Q6. mention any two consequences of the first world war?
Ans. Consequences of the first world war are:-
- Huge Loss of life and property.
- The United States emerged as the major world power.
Q7. Mention any two aims of the league of nation?
Ans. Aims of the league of Nations:-
- Promote international corporation.
- Maintain the condition that excites after the treaty of Versailles.
- Protect national minorities.
- Ensure proper working of the mandate system.
- Deals with the problem associated with the society, health economy, communication etc.
Q8. stated 2 factors that were responsible for the failure of the league of nations.
Ans. factors that were responsible for the failure of the league of nations were:-
- The US did not join the league.
- The members of the league were not interested in the principle of collective security.
Q9. explain how the treaty of Versailles was responsible for the outbreak of the second world war?
Ans:- 1. This treaty was based on a spirit of revenge and Germany was forced to sign it.
- All the German colonies were forcibly taken from it and divided into 2 parts.
- Its military power was reduced.
- This treaty gave rise to the spirit of revenge in Germany and he started to find a way to do away with the harsh treaty.
Q10. How much did Germany have to pay as war remuneration charges according to the treaty of Versailles?
Ans. 33 billion dollars.