chapter 3:- Natural Vegetation.
Q1. State the climatic conditions required for the growth of tropical deciduous forest?
Ans. The moist deciduous forest:-
- Rainfall between 100 to 200 CM.
- Temperature between 24 degree Celsius and 27 degree Celsius.
The dry deciduous forest:-
- Rainfall between 70 cm 200 CM
- The annual temperature is between 23 degree Celsius and 27 degree Celsius.
Q2. Name an area in India where a tropical monsoon forest is found?
Ans. Eastern slope of Western Ghats, Tamil Nadu state and the Andaman and Nicobar Island.
Q3. How is tropical monsoon forest of great commercial value to India?
Ans. Tropical monsoon forests are very important because the wood of the trees is hard, durable and useful in construction work and furniture. The main trees are teak, Sal, Shisham, Sandalwood, and Khair.
Q4. with reference to littoral forest answer the following question :-
- Why do trees in forests grow aerial roots?
- name one area in India where this forest is found.
Ans. reference to littoral forest answers are:-
- littoral forest refers to trees which grow in coastal saline or brackish water in such region soil is salty or anaerobic means poor in oxygen in nature the soil is not able to support the underground root system with enough oxygen therefore the underground root system outgrowths aerial roots that grow vertically up to the air above the soil to obtain the requirements.
- Littoral forests are found along the Andaman and Nicobar Island and The Delta area of Ganga and the Brahmaputra.
Q5. What is the name given to the natural vegetation found on the coastal strip of the name the tree found in the region?
Ans. Sundarbans also called literal or man prove or tidal forests Sundari trees found there.
Q6. What is the most commercially important vegetation belt in India in what rainfall range is it located?
Ans. Tropical monsoon deciduous forests are the most commercially important vegetation belt in India; rainfall ranges between 100 to 200 CM.
Q7. How do trees in tropical desert forests adapt themselves to the dry climate?
Ans. trees in the tropical desert forest adapt themselves as they have long roots, small leaves or sharp spines and they are xerophytic in nature.
Q8. state main characteristics of tidal forest name an area where tidal forests are found?
Ans. the main characteristics of tidal forests are given below:-
- These forests are dense, evergreen and have trees of varying height.
- The trees have long roots submerged under water and are porous which help them to breathe during the high tide.
- The tidal tree yields hardwood which is strong and durable and is used for making boats and boxes.
- The most important tree is the Sundari tree in the Ganges delta from which the word Sunderban is coined.
- The Indian tidal on mangrove forests are considered as the largest mangrove forest in the world.
The tidal forests are found in the saline swamps of Sundarbans in West Bengal.
Q10. Name the one region in India for each of the following:-
- Tidal forest.
- Thorn and Scrub forest.
and explain why thorn and Scrub forest are found in the above mentioned regions?
Ans. The one region in India for each of the following are:-
- tidal forest: Sundarbans in West Bengal or Ganga delta region.
- thorn and Scrub forest: Rajasthan.
forest found in this region because these forests receive less than 50 cm of rainfall.